Saturday, August 14, 2010

to Crown Point

Because of the heat and plans for the rest of the day (fairwell barbecue for Kendra), I changed the riding plan for today to something a little closer in. So, to Crown Point it was! Shortly into the ride, the wind hit. Wow, a head wind going, which is much better than headwind coming back. Huge lines of riders blew by me. I tried to stay calm even when women my age passed me. So it goes. At Crown Point the wind almost knocked me over. Getting back on to my bike was a tricky balancing act, but gosh, oh golly, the ride back down was lickety-split. Way fun. "Can't touch that," Hammer sang.

My incredibly-supportive partner commented yesterday, "You seem like your head is not tripping you up with these rides," or something like that, and it's true. These days I'm out to have a great time, not to conquer anything. I realize I am incredibly lucky to have the health, salary, time, and more to be able to do these rides. The villagers I've seen in Kenya and Tanzania have no time; they are working always, usually with their bodies. I am not wasting these precious rides. At least, I hope I'm not. There are too many blessings to count.

Today was ride #12, 253 miles total. About 203 miles this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment